Thursday, May 25, 2006

Replicant Redux...

I was blog-surfing and came across a comment on ABC News' Brian Ross' blog. The comment was fine, but the commentors signature was what caught my eye...

"Teach your children Spanish and your grandchildren Chinese."

Now, I realize the irony expressed, and it gave me a chuckle when I initially caught it. But a few minutes later I found myself thinking back to that really odd "Hispanic/Oriental/African" dialect spoken by the "street people" (and by the cop character played by Edward James Olmos) in Blade Runner.

Blade Runner is one of my all-time top 10 films, and the texture of it seemed so freaking presciently accurate that I think I remember that "texture" more than any individual performer or performance. The unique "street-talk" was definitely part of that for me.

At any rate, today it seems quite reasonable to recommend teaching ones children Spanish. Of course, I live in Southeast Texas, so Spanish is a no-brainer. And it certainly seems plausible that in the next generation or two, we'll be becoming WAY more familiar with Chinese people, language, and culture.

Philip K. Dick, Ridley Scott, and Syd Mead RULE!! So why not a hybrid Latino-Sino-Afro slang dialect?

[via the web]

Comments:
"City-speak, gutter-talk . . ."

I'm with you on BR's sense of texture. I first saw it in grade school and it's haunted me ever since.
 
*smile* Indeed, Mac! I hear the distant bleating of mecha-ewes...

I have to admit I was a bit beyond grade school when I saw the flick. *sigh*

But the look of the city, the sound of the street people, and the deteriorating tech of the time all combined to give me what I truly feel was a glimpse into our future.

Thanks!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?